PERU ITINERARY 30th of June to 09th of July,2019
Experience Lima – Cusco
Cusco – Peru
“Get to know the human side of Andean Culture”
This awesome trip will show you the highlights of the Peruvian Andes in 06 days of full of adventures discovering the native land of the Inca civilization. Join us on a fantastic journey through, highlands, snowcapped mountains, valleys and cloud forests. Also, meet friendly people and open your mind to new cultures. Experience traveling and spend your nights in nice and cozy hotels and hostels.
DAY 1 / JUN 30th : Arrive to Lima – Flight to Cusco
Lima- Arrive and take a flight to Cusco, Reception and transfer to Hotel in the Sacred Valley.
Meals includes: Dinner at the Hotel.
(Flight not included)
DAY2 / JUL 01st: PAUCARBAMBA – FLAT VALLEY PATH – SALINAS – MARAS – MISMINAY COMMUNITY. (2800 – 3734 meters above sea level)
After you take your first breakfast at your Hotel, our transportation will pick you up at 10:00 am and bring you to the farm.
This ride begins in Paucarbamba where the farm is located.
Just after crossing the Vilcanota river in Paucarbamba, we take a forest path along the river, where we will see some tombs from the time of the Inka Empire located at the side of the path. Yanahuara used to be a farming area, but lately it is becoming one of the most important areas for tourist accomodation. At the moment forty new hotels are being constructed.
Just after Yanahuara, a quiet and narrow path along the Vilcanota River will bring us to the suspension bridge of Tarabamba; this is the checkpoint for Salinas.
During the next part of the ride we will climb up to the mountain towards Salinas, the salt mines that date back to pre – Inka times.
More than three thousand pans of salt are waiting to be visited by us, and after enjoying a nice meal while overlooking the salt terraces, we continue climbing the mountain until we arrive at the village of Maras, which is famous for its stone doorways with the carved date of construction and heraldic family crests, an inheritance of the Spanish culture.
At Maras the big fields of barley, green beans, white corn, hay, oats, quinoa, and so on, are waiting for us because the horse trail crosses through them to get to the Misminay Community where we will spend the first night at a local home.
An extraordinary Andean trail will guide us to the Misminay viewpoint which is located at 3734 meters above sea level. The local people from this village are really friendly and curious and like to share their traditional way of life with visitors.
16:00 Arrival at Misminay.
16:30 Hike to Moray view point. Moray, the last botany laboratory from the Inkas.
Here the Andeans acclimated many different plants that they brought from the Amazon and from the coast because they needed to adapt them to grow at high altitudes (cold areas), to be able to use them for food or medicine.
19:00 Dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 3 / JUL 02 nd: MISMINAY COMMUNITY – MAHUAYPAMPA – HUAROCONDO – ZURITE. (3359 meters above sea level)
The view that Misminay offers us early in the morning, is truly phenomenal. You can see most of the snow covered mountains of the Sacred Valley, all the farmland of Maras, and eagles and falcons soaring against an amazing background.
After breakfast, we start our second day ride. This ride is longer than the one on the first day, because we need to climb the last mountains before riding down to the town of Huarocondo (3345 meter above sea level). This is the first town in the flat area of the Anta-district where we plan to eat lunch. The next night we will be camping on the old and historic land of “Zurite” (3405 meters above sea level). Zurite has the province’s longest and biggest Inka terraces used for farming, That is the reason why it hosts the most important investigation complex of the Andean native potatoe.
Dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 4 / JUL 03th: ZURITE – ANKAWASI. (3580 meters above sea level)
The next morning after breakfast, a professional agronomist of the National Institute of Agricultural Innovation will give us a tour during which he will explain the investigation process that aims to rescue some almost extinct native species of potatoes (Oca, Mashua, Potato, Año).
After we have ridden for a few hours, we will eat lunch near another old hacienda. During the next part of the ride we have to cross a big eucalyptus forest along the hills, after which we will arrive at the archaeological complex of “Quilla rumuyoq” in the village of Ankawasi (3579 meters above sea level).
This night we finally have the chance to take a hot shower and sleep in a bed, because a country hostel is waiting for us.
Dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 5 / JUL 04 th: ANKAWASI – ZURITE – COMPONE. (3331 meters above sea level)
After eating a nice breakfast, we´re ready to visit the Ankawasi (eagle’s nest), an archaeological complex which is divided in an area for farming, a religious area and an area for housing.
The ride on the fourth day is also a long one. We will ride through areas of eucalyptus forest, where we plan to eat our lunch. After lunch we will cross a river and ride through the flat area of Anta (3320 meters above sea level), until we arrive at the Lodge in Compone.
Dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 6 / JUL 05st: COMPONE – APU ANTA VIEW POINT – ROCKY MOUNTAIN- INKILLPATA. (3695 meters above sea level)
On the fifth day ride, just after eating our breakfast, we need to climb the Andes again until we arrive to the top of the Apu Anta View point located at 4000 meters above the sea level, and observe there many cultural evidences (Thombs) from the “K’illque” Pre Inka civilization.
The view sice this place in unique, will be posible to observe almost all the “Pampa de Anta” Flat valley and many of the snow mountains from the área.
After to enjoy from this panoramic scenary view, we continue riding to the Rocky Mountain located 45 minutes far from this área.
This geologic formation area, has a circular place located in the middle of the rocks that was used in the beginning of the old times by a local nomads that were looking for some deers, or other animals to hunt and eat.
After the spaniels were here, this place was used to hide cows and horses that were stolled from different small villages or haciendas and move the animals some days later to further places to sell or kill them.
Actually there is not a scientific information about this rocky área, that is why looks really wild and looks lost in the time.
After to explore the Rocky área, we expect to have our picnic lunch close to this place, enjoying the sorrounding.
After the lunch, we ride down hill untill go back to the flat valley and arrive again to our accomodations.
Dinner and over night.
DAY 7 / JUL 06th: COMPONE – MARKJO – HUAYPO LAKE – TTIO BAMBA – MARAS – HACIENDA.
After to take our last breakfast, we ride along th flat valley and cross it; climb to Markjo mountain along a path that cross an Ucaliptus forest área untill arrive to Huaypo lake (3500 meters above sea level), where we will eat lunch. During this ride you will realize how difficult and marvelous it is to live in the Andes, because is not easy to climb and ride downhill, cross rivers, muddy areas, etc.
Lunch time at shore of Lake Huaypo.
After enjoying our meal while listening to a symphony of songs that come from the different birds that live in the forest around the lake, we continue our ride downhill until we arrive at Ttiobamba, a marvelous Catholic church that was built in the 16th century.
After riding for 20 more minutes, we arrive at Maras located at 3377 meters above sea level. Maras is a traditional Andean village where the people used to make their doorways out of stone with some heraldic drawings and the year in which the house was constructed.
Just behind the biggest church of Maras starts a narrow trail that leads to the last lunch place located in the middle of the no where.
The last part of the ride is downhill along a narrow path that starts at 3377 meters above sea level and ends at 2800 meters, at the Hacienda del Chalán in Paucarbamba.
After the ride, our transportation wil bring you back to the Hotel in the Sacred Valley where will be the Buffet dinner.
If this is your first time going to the Andes or high mountains we recommend getting information about ALTITUDE SICKNESS, see below for some websites recommended by high mountain doctors and scientists from over the world.
INCLUDES ALONG THE RIDE:
- Professional English speaking tour guide / experienced rider.
- Well-groomed Peruvian Paso Horse.
- Snacks (water – chocolate – fruit).
- Comfortable tent with plenty of space for backpacks.
- Inflatable sleeping mattresses.
- Sleeping bag.
- Meals , vegetarian food is available upon request
- Plenty of drinking water during the rides only.
- Experienced cook during the entire horseback tour.
- Sleeping tent.
- Dining tent.
- Kitchen tent.
- Accommodation and meals for our camp staff.
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle for participants and our camp staff.
- Assistance vehicle.
- Entrance tickets for Salinas and Moray.
- Accommodation in the local´s home, Rustic Hostal & Rustic Lodge for the first, third, forth and fift night.
- Picking up and dropping off service from / to the Hotel in the Sacred Valley.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Tips for guide and camp staff.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING/CARRY
- Small backpack to carry the most important items.
- Rain jacket or poncho (December – April).
- Strong comfortable and waterproof footwear.
- One complete change of clothing.
- Sweater and jacket (something warm).
- Bottle of water and purification tablets (Micropur is recommended and can be bought at local pharmacies in Cusco).
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun.
- Sun block (sun protection cream).
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper.
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, etc.
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries.
DAY 8 / July 07: Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Valle (H).
Very Early we have a transfer to Ollantaytambo train station Travel by train in a unique adventure descending into the Sacred Valley until finally arrive to the town of Aguas Calientes, where you will jump to the bus, and arrive to the Lost City of the Incas for an incredible experience. Visit Machu Picchu in a two hour guided tour of the most important temples and sectors of this great ruin. Then, later, explore and discover on your own the wonders of the Lost City of the Incas. This afternoon we will return to Cusco by train and bus. Machu Picchu was recently honored to become part of the New 7 Wonders of the World as well as, like many of our other destinations on this journey, is one of the top World Heritage cities on UNESCO’s prestigious list. Interestingly enough, it is not mentioned in any of the chronicles from Spanish colonialism. No one knows its function and even though it has been studied by scientists for decades, many unanswered questions remain. The town was forgotten for centuries and covered by rich vegetation until July 24th, 1911 when American historian Hiram Bingham was led by an 11 year old native boy to the site where he made the re-discovery of this phenomenal structure. It was all done on accident as Bingham was actually in search of the lost town of Vilcabamba. At the afternoon take a train to Ollantaytambo by train after return to Cuzco for our last night in the city.
Meals Includes: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
DAY 9 / JULY 08th. Ollantaytambo – Pisaq – Qochawasi –
Sacred Valley – AwanaCancha – Qochawasi – Tambomachay – Pukapukara – Sacsayhuaman
This morning we will head east to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, stopping at established viewpoints along the way to view both the luscious landscapes and typical Andean crops of quinoa, kiwicha and potatoes.
We will visit the Inca citadel of Pisac, which is located directly above the town with the same name. The citadel is well known for its magnificent agricultural terraces and the Intihuatana (Hitching Post of the Sun) which we will learn more about on our visit. We will then descend to the Andean community where have a delicious lunch, Pachamanca (is a traditional Peruvian dish based on the baking, with the aid of hot stones of lamb, pork, chicken, marinated in spices), after the visit the Andean community we will go to visit the Awanacancha, famous for raising llamas and alpacas, finally we will visit the Tambomachay and Sacsayhuman, at the end of afternoon we will arrive to Cusco
Meals Includes: Breakfast, Lunch (pachamanca) and Dinner show at Tunupa Rest.
DAY 10 / July 09th: Leaving Cusco
Departure from Cusco, you will be properly deposited on time at the airport or at your bus stop. (Flight not included)
Meals Includes: Breakfast
INCLUDED ALONG THE OTHER DAYS (NOT ON THE RIDE)
- Guide and support staff in Spanish
- Staff assistance in Cusco
- Professional Guide for Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu
- Excursion in Private service
- The Sacred Valley and the Machu Picchu
- Tourist Ticket Cusco (Pass for the archaeological sites)
- Machu Picchu
- Train Expedition Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu
- Train Expedition Machu Picchu – Ollantaytambo
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- 04 nights Hostels/Hotels with private bathroom
- 04 Breakfasts
- 02 Lunch (Buffet in Aguas Calientes – Pachamanca at the Andean Community)
- 04 Dinner ( 03 at the Hotel & 1 Dinner show)
- Airport transfer:
- Transfer from the airport upon arrival in Lima is included if you provide us with the flight information at least five days in advance.
NOT INCLUDED ALONG THE ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- International Flights
- National flights
- Airports fees
- Meal not mentioned
- Other activities during your free times
- Transfers to the activities during your free times
- Personal stuff
- Lodging before and after the one specified.
No include Flight Lima/Cusco/Lima
USD 140 – 190 per person
Good to know
- Prices are subject to change without previous notice.
- The prices include: hotel accommodations. All transfers. Visits and excursions as per itinerary on a seat-in-car basis with the services of English-speaking local guides. Meals as per itinerary. Admission fees where applicable. On site logistical support of our Peru-based office.
- The prices do not include: International airfares, local airfares, international and local airports taxes, personal expenses, beverages, services not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Accommodation “Casa de Habitantes”: Call home residents to the homes of the villagers, who are enabled rooms in the homes of the people, usually with the bathroom outside the room, no hot water.
- Luggage on board the train to Machu Picchu is restricted to one bag or backpack weighting 11 pounds or less and measuring 62 linear inches (length + height + width). Additional luggage can be stored at the hotel in Cusco.
- These prices are valid only for non-Peruvian citizens travelling with a valid passport and holding the Andean migration card, which is provided on the plane upon entering the country and sealed by the airport Immigration Services representative (Maximo 6 months stay).
- Please note the most Peruvian hotels have a check in time between 12:00 and 3:00 PM. If you have an early morning arrival, we recommend booking the previous night. And on the departure date, depending on your international flight schedule, an additional night in Lima might be necessary.
- Train services: In every tour is considered the train: Executive (incarail), Expedition (Perurail) if you want to improve your service vistadome (Perurail) will add USD 40.00 per person
- This tour is subject to a minimum number of passengers. Please call for further details.
- Tipping is not included on the tour and is at your discretion
- Temperatures and weather conditions in the Andes can vary considerably during the day, so we recommend taking layers of clothes that can easily be added or removed
- This tour can be strenuous, as it visits altitudes of over 14,000 feet above sea level
- The tour involves a number of early starts, considerable travel and changes in food and climate, so you’ll need a healthy constitution and an adaptable state of mind
- Due to its nature the tour is not suitable for those with walking difficulties
What should I Bring?
- Airline Tickets or printed e-ticket
- Travel Insurance
- Credit or Debit Card and some USD cash
- JOEX Voucher
- Camera and/or Video
- Visas and Vaccinations certificates
- Printed Dossier
- Some good books!!!
- Pocket knife
- Flash Torch
- Items of personal use
- Sun glasses
TOTAL PRICE PER PERSON : USD 3.650
ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR SINGLE ROOM : USD 160